Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Shakespeare’s Birthday


And you thought you were old? Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Or how about wishing happy birthday to the greatest playwright in the English language?

Scholars dispute Shakespeare’s exact date of birth, but it was definitely this week approximately four hundred plus years ago. The Bard left us so many great treasures from his comedies and tragedies to his sonnets and histories. Whether visiting the Globe Theatre in London or watching Joss Whedon’s latest rendition of Much Ado About Nothing, Shakespeare’s writing continues to shape and define our culture and our souls to this very day.

What are your favorite Shakespeare plays? Perhaps you’ve memorized a favorite sonnet? Which film or live productions have particularly brought Shakespeare to life for you?

15 comments:

  1. I've been to England and seen where he was born and buried. (Buried in a church - as in, the floor of the church.) Much Ado is definitely my favorite. He should've done more comedies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about the comedies as well. Midsummer Nights Dream has always been a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did someone say Happy Birthday Shakespeare? So odd that he also apparently died on this same day fifty two years later. Weird, that.

    I just bought tickets to see A Midsummer Night's Dream by the Colorado Shakespeare Co. this summer. Definitely a favorite, as is Macbeth and Merchant of Venice and Richard III and Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet and...etc.

    I also quote sonnet #55 and Julius Caesar in my novels. Yeah, I definitely suffer from a bad case of bardolatry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm into comedies rather than tragedies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Midsummer Night's Dream is definitely my favorite. Like Alex, I toured the church and then Ann Hathaway's house and garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Taming of the Shrew. That was my favorite in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Hamlet. I studied it in both school and university. I know it well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the best things about Shakespeare is how far diverse his works were. I personally love Taming of the Shrew, but I'm a sucker for comedy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it really his birthday today? Well, how about that. Have a good one, Mr. Bard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer the comedies. As You Like It is fun. I also viewed his hometown and burial place on a school trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Midsummer Nights Dream is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these are the things I didnt know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm surprised that so many of you love the comedies. I'm crazy for the tragedies. I love Macbeth (the Scottish Play) especially:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't judge, but my favorite story has always been Romeo and Juliet. The story of love just never grows old.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Great column. You sound exactly like someone I'd love to know. Keep celebrating you. The world needs a lot more people just like you. Thanks for your honesty.
    Accounts Software For Small Business
    Simran Kaur"

    ReplyDelete