Thursday, July 24, 2014

Writers' Days Jobs

I often think about all the writers who have had to manage a day job along with their writing career (in other words virtually all authors). I myself work as a Technical Writer, so whether at home or work I write to earn my bread. What surprised me recently was learning about other authors like me who also worked as Tech Writers by day.

Kurt Vonnegut. Ben Bova. Philip Jose Farmer. Just to name a few. I particularly like Vonnegut’s quote regarding Tech Writers and their oddities. Of course my fiction writing is very different from my writing at work, but it makes me wonder how our own work experiences influence our artistic endeavors.

So how do you balance work and play? How do you make room for art while still keeping a roof over your head? How have your own work experiences influenced your writing?  

No comments:

Post a Comment