Thursday, March 5, 2015

Kaufman’s Hill

Last night, I had the honor of attending a book-signing session by my former professor, Dr. John Hampsey, as he read excerpts from his newly published memoir entitled Kaufman’s Hill. Sitting in the Book Passage bookstore inside the Ferry Building in downtown San Francisco, I got to listen to John Hampsey speak as he transported us to his childhood in Pittsburg during the early 1960s. Needless to say, it was both an entertaining and moving experience.

Chronicling his own personal experiences of a bygone era, Kaufman’s Hill is a heartfelt and insightful book that really enables any person of any generation to get into the mindset and world of 1960s America and what that meant to a young child. For me personally, it’s interesting to hear about what would be my parent’s generation and the many ways in which their upbringings were both similar and completely alien to my own childhood.

After his reading, I got a chance to reconnect with my former professor as he signed my copy of his book. It made me smile to see that he was still every inch the fascinating man I knew in college, and he remains as warmhearted and jovial as ever.

Kaufman’s Hill is a must-read for anyone who enjoys memoir or just a plain good story. You can order a copy online or look for it in a bookstore near you. I promise, you’ll enjoy it.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment